About the Program
About the MAAS program
The rise of Asia is defining global processes in all respects, which makes it absolutely necessary for individuals from any walk of life to have a better understanding of the dynamics behind the ascent of the Asian continent. The role of Japan, China, India, Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore in the world economy and international relations contributes to Asia as a regional center of globalization.
The Master of Arts Program in Asian Studies at Boğaziçi University (MAAS) aims to provide students from different academic and professional backgrounds with a solid foundation in this field, and to prepare them for the challenges of the 21st century. The program combines a multi-disciplinary approach incorporating political, economic, social and cultural studies of Asia with language courses aiming to equip the students with working knowledge in an Asian language. MAAS prepares students for a wide range of career options -in the government, business world, NGOs, international and national think-tanks on area studies and international relations, the academy, journalism/media, publishing, cultural foundations and the like- in today’s and tomorrow’s world where Asia is to play an increasingly assertive role.
MAAS is a one-year program offered by Boğaziçi University Institute of Social Sciences, supported by the Asian Studies Center and the Department of History. Students of the Program can opt for either a degree with thesis or for a degree without thesis, depending on their preferences and career plans. Presently, the program offers two regional majors concentrating on Japan and China respectively. Please note that Korea and Russia/Central Asia fields will also be opened provided there is sufficient student interest.
The program in Japanese studies and Chinese studies includes education on general Asia as well as additional elective courses on Korea, India, Central Asia, the Middle East/West Asia, and South East Asia. The program is complemented with Japanese and Chinese language instruction.
MAAS is a special tuition program that aims to serve the working-student by offering courses after work-hours and on week-ends. The language of instruction is English.
It is now possible for students pursuing a degree without thesis to transfer to a thesis track.
* Eligibility: By the time of application for a transfer, the student has to have completed a minimum of 12 credits, with a minimum GPA of 3.25. The Institute of Social Science reserves the right to apply additional conditions.
* Applications are to be made over the period stated in the academic calendar of Boğaziçi University.
* Applications are accepted on the basis of a recommendation of the program and approval by the Institute of Social Sciences.
* Decisions of acceptance are to be submitted by the Institute of Social Sciences to the Registrar's Office at least two weeks prior to the commencement of the academic semester.
* Credits of the students are to be trasnferred in compliance with the minimum 50% rule as per with Article 20 of Boğaziçi University Graduate Studies Regulations.